December 31, 2008
December 24, 2008
December 22, 2008
I won't share exactly what I've been wrapping up lately, in case any of my family is checking here, but would like to give a very big thank you to the following retailers who have made my Christmas shopping a little bit easier, a little bit more affordable, and a whole lot preppier this year:
The Merry Martini
Bird Dog Bay
While I know it frustrates my family to no end ("don't you ever shop in an actual store?" quoth TCP Mom), I love being able to skip the department stores and pick up things that are a little more "me" than what you find at Macy's. And how I love a good code! So thanks, Internet.
It's not as if I don't have plenty left on my "to do" list either. I have finished all my shopping but for one gift: the nanny. What to get her? (And don't tell me cash, because that's already covered. This is in addition to the money...a little something.) She's a cute single girl in her mid-20s, this shouldn't be hard. But why can't I think of a single thing? Any ideas?
Also on my shopping list? Reading glasses. I told you that I am decrepit and old, did I not? Well, my eye doctor informed me that I should just pick myself up a pair of those drugstore reading glasses. People, these are not attractive. I am so wanting to get a pair of the Eyebobs I posted not too long ago, but I have a tiny face, so I think I need to try them on in person.
And then there is the matter of holiday baking, which I really should be on top of at this point...but somehow the cookies keep disappearing while I'm at work. Hmmm. I wonder who could be responsible??
Oh, and a few codes to drop off, in case you are still in the throes of holiday shopping:
Tucker Blair is still offering 50% off AND will ship in time for Christmas if you order today. Use the code HOLIDAY08.
December 19, 2008
You can find me at https://twitter.com/ThirdCoastPrep (natch).
We have a packed schedule this weekend leading up to the holidays. TCP Mom and I are off to see the Joffrey Ballet's performance of The Nutcracker again this year...I can't wait until TCP Toddler can come with us. He watched the cartoon version last weekend and won't stop talking about the "big rat" who wanted more cake! And we still haven't made it onto the Santa Train yet. Well, I did, completely by accident during my commute one night. Honestly, it was a little trippy. But I think the boy will like it, so we must try to catch it this weekend at some point. I feel like there is so much to do before Christmas and all time is running out!
December 13, 2008
And get ordering!
December 12, 2008
1. I have what is probably an unhealthy obsession with the Yule Log. We have a gorgeous original fireplace, but it doesn't work. So I watch a nice crackling fire on the tv instead. As a bonus, it plays instrumental Christmas carols at the same time!
2. I see nothing wrong with repeated showings of the same holiday movies over and over and over again (e.g., A Christmas Story marathon). I will watch them as many times as they are aired.
3. I firmly believe that a proper Christmas tree should be (a) real and (b) strung with both colored and white lights. Try it, you'll agree.
4. I think that Christmas crackers are really, really fun. And have been known to wear my paper crown long after everyone else has removed theirs.
5. Even though I am probably the least religious soul you will ever meet, I love to go to mass on Christmas Eve. The carols, the dim lights, and --now that we attend the early children's services--the nativity play put on by the grade schoolers...I just love it all.
6. My dad read Clement Moore's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas to me every single Christmas eve of my life while he was alive. Even when I was in college. It's one of my favorite memories.
I'm not one for tagging, but if you're in a holiday mood, fill this out!
December 11, 2008
On the heels of that fun night and perked up by the venti Peppermint Mocha, I'm feeling positively festive. And have a great deal for you today...also hailing from Harry's home state of Louisiana, Miss Lillian Bea is a former preppy blogger turned shop owner. (Living the dream!)
She has stopped blogging to devote her time to running her own Lilly Pulitzer/ Vineyard Vines store in her hometown.
She just let me know that she has several pairs of Bonanno Sandals that are 40% off and for sale online to allow the blog community the opportunity to buy them. The link is here, so check it out. But don't buy the ones I want before I get to them!!
December 10, 2008
Tonight I'm going to see my not-so-secret boyfriend, Harry Connick, Jr., performing at the Chicago Theater. I can't wait. He's promoting his third Christmas CD and this will be the
Merry Christmas, indeed.
December 09, 2008
Well, today the Third Coast is all a buzz with news of the arrest of our governor (and TCP's neighbor!) affectionately known as G-Rod. Mr. TC and I passed by his house this morning on our way to work, as we usually do, and noticed that there were an unusually large number of unmarked cars in front. Little did we know why they were there!
I've been reading a copy of the criminal complaint online (you can see it here) and it's completely fascinating. And though it is difficult to tear oneself away from the trainwreck of Illinois politics*, I do have some shopping news!
- Free Standard Shipping available at Peter-Blair.com with the code FREESHIP08 --good through December 12th.
- J.Crew is offering up to 30% off (depending on how much you spend, natch) with the code HOHOHO through December 11th.
- Lands' End offers 30% off outerwear today only and free shipping with the code WREATH and the PIN 00009052 .
Also, I would like to give mad props to Walgreen's --yes, you read that right--for our Christmas cards. I totally procrastinated on them this year and missed the deadlines for many of my usual sources. So after a last minute photo shoot yesterday, I ordered them online, picked them up around the corner from my office at lunch, and couldn't be happier with how they turned out. Plus, they gave me a free photo pen...you know, the kind that will write on a glossy photo card, so you have no excuse for not writing a personalized note? So yay for that.
Now if this horrid rain would just turn to snow, I would be a completely happy camper. I know, I am insane in wishing for massive amounts of snow, but the temperature is going to drop and everything is going to be a sheet of ice. I'd much rather the snow!
*For those keeping score, this would be the second Illinois governor in a row to be arrested by federal officials. We are so proud.
December 08, 2008
- An open letter to the citizens of Chicago (and visitors to our fair city): For the love of all that's holy, can you please refrain from elbowing me in the pregnant belly?!? I know it's crowded, I know you're in a rush, I know that you simply must get closer to the register/barista/train/Macy's window (blech on this year's design, btw). But can't you accomplish this without touching me? Also, if you are not from a city, or have forgotten The Rules, we pass on the left. Slower (read: pregnant) traffic to the right. Just like when you're driving your car. So don't get all huffy with me when I don't sprint up the escalator. I'm not asking for anything crazy, like a seat on the train. So please, keep your elbows in.
- TCP Rave for a kid's haircut on the Third Coast: TCP Toddler is somewhat slow in the hair growing department. So he's had only two trims in his life. Let's just say he is not a fan of the process. We took him here for the inaugural cut and it Did Not Go Well. But Saturday? We took him to this place, and it went so much better. Miss Julie was fantastic and --as a bonus--super fast. Not as cutesy as some of the other kid haircut places, but much better and faster!
- We also finally got the official TCP 2008 Christmas Tree...at Home Depot. Kids, for $24 we have a gorgeous 9 ft tall fir tree that smells heavenly and has all of the ornaments strategically placed approximately one foot off the floor. Can you guess who helped me decorate yesterday? He thinks our tree is "bee-yootiful."
- What's a post without a few codes? There is seriously no need to pay retail these days!
Bird Dog Bay has 25% off through the end of the week with the code HOLIDAY25.
Top It Off is offering a sensational 50% off AND free shipping during the month of December. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like no code is needed.
December 04, 2008
NPN of Chicago is excited to introduce Neighborhood Shop & Hop. This is an initiative to support neighborhood shops while raising funds for NPN. Shopping locally is critical to keeping our beloved neighborhoods alive. A donation of up to 5% of total event sales will be made to NPN. This fundraising effort will enable NPN to continue to provide parents with the support, school, social, and information services they depend on. Our first featured neighborhood is Andersonville .
This community shopping event in Andersonville will take place on Saturday, December 13th and Sunday, December 14th. Come out and shop at the local stores listed below. For added holiday fun, plan your stop in Andersonville to also take in the St. Lucia Festival of Lights happening at 4:45pm on Saturday, Dec. 13th.
Andersonville shops Green Genes, Zozo for Kids, The Red Balloon Company, and Toys Et Cetera are donating up to 5% of total weekend sales to the NPN.
Cause-minded, holiday shoppers
Saturday, December 13th and Sunday, December 14th.
Green Genes - 5111 N. Clark Street, 773-944-9250 10am-6pm Sat.; 12pm-5pm Sun.
Zozo for Kids - 5137 N. Clark Street, 773-506-6120 10am-6pm Sat. & Sun.
The Red Balloon Company - 5407 N Clark Street, 773-989-8500 10am-6pm Sat.; 12pm-5pm Sun.
Toys Et Cetera - 5311 N. Clark Street, 773-769-5311 9:30am-6:00pm Sat.;11am-5pm Sun.
December 03, 2008
And can I just say publicly how much I love the internets for allowing me to do my Christmas shopping in my current state? And for providing me with codes? Because I truly do. Luff it.
Also making me happy tonight? My January issue of Town & Country arrived with Betty Draper (okay, January Jones) on the cover. I can't wait to read it.
Now if you'll excuse me, Ralphie just shot his eye out. Better go.
Also, Vineyard Vines is holding private sale through December 9th. It’s 20% off with the code THANKS08. Yet another store I wish had a maternity line!!
December 02, 2008
Here are the highlights going forward:
Tucker Blair is offering 50% off all merchandise until December 24th with the code holiday08.
Maggie & Alison has free shipping through December 15th with the code decfreeship.
In the Pink has 50% off the fall collection and free shipping with the code 5000 through December 7.
Three Chickadees is hosting its first ever Friends and Family Sale; through December 4, 2008 take 30% off of your entire retail order with the code FRIEND at checkout.Emily Lacey is having a warehouse sale...take advantage online with the code WW for 50-75% off.